Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just a post about a run

I am, still, after four years of running, completely suprised at how the simple act of moving through the world on my own two feet at a pace of my own choosing can make me makes me so strong, so powerful.

I worked from home today, and just before lunch, laced up my running shoes and headed out the door. Spring has reared her head here, so things are greening and blooming and it was cool and breezy, and bright and clear. Perfect running weather. I dragged out my garmin forerunner for this run, because I at least wanted to know how far I went, regardless of the pace. Technically, Mondays are supposed to be recovery runs for me (which would imply I did something on Sunday to recover from) but I didn't run this weekend, I rode both horses on Sunday, and while my core and abductors are very sore, running doesn't ease riding soreness. So off I went.

I made up the run as I went along. Since I was running along the main road in front of my neighborhood, I left the IPOD at home. I got some running advice from a guy picking up his mail "pick your knees up a little higher", was told to be careful by a guy on a bike, and my personal favorite, was yelled "what are you training for?" by a guy at a stop sign, I smiled waved, and yelled back "the rest of my life". Yeah, I know, totally corny. I couldn't help myself.

Some runs are just like that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a fantastic answer!

My neighbor always asks me what I'm running from when he sees me go out or come in from a run. After years of shrugging my shoulders or shaking my head, I now answer "Father Time." Seems to work.

Mojo said...

I sure feel like I did something to recover from this weekend, but for the life of me I can't figure out what that might have been.

Glad to hear you back in the ... saddle I guess (literally and metaphorically). I guess the spring is good for you, eh?

kenju said...

That's a great answer!

Maria said...

Yay JC!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG I Love that answer...

rennratt said...

I think that's an excellent answer!

tiff said...

Not so corny!

Doctor Err said...

i love it. love it, love it, love it.
can't wait for our race!
xoxo

carmilevy said...

I'm inspired to follow your lead, lace up my shoes and hit the road. But it's snowing like mad today, and I suspect I'll need a shovel to get back home.

Next week...