Friday, March 23, 2007

What dreams may come....


In early 2004, I stopped dreaming. Or, as some of the more nit-picky people in my life insisted, I stopped remembering my dreams. There were enough big, life changing things happening in my life at that time that the disappearance of my dreams barely registered.

In late 2006 I started to wonder if I’d ever have another dream.

In early 2007 a satellite-sister who knew of my extended period of dreamlessness, made me a dream catcher. She crafted it with her own two hands, and even put beads on it to match the color of my newly painted bedroom. It is a beautiful gift. I brought it home from our weekend together and hung it on the window closest to my bed. Dreams or no, it was nice to have a reminder of this special friend so close at hand.

My dreams returned. Sometimes I only remembered fragments, sometimes they were sad dreams, but they came, and they kept coming. I’ve never been a ‘big’ dreamer; I don’t think anything I’ve ever dreamt or will dream will be the next great invention. My dreams aren’t terrifying or very remarkable in any way. They are just mine. I missed them and I was happy to have them back.

However, last night, in my dreams, I was dressed in a brightly colored unitard, a helmet and white knee-high boots, and I was running through the aisles of the local grocery store at full speed while friends and family lined the aisles trying to chuck ramen noodles into my basket. Apparently hitting me with the noodles was worth *extra* points (hence the helmet?).

I don’t want to appear ungrateful but, I think I'd like to know what my friend put on the webbing of that dream catcher.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

muwhahahaha
that's interesting on a lotta levels.
a. other sattelite sister has a sick-o thing with hooker boots.
b. top ramen is favorite food of rev. mat.
c. you got stoopid stuffs coming that may make other parts of this make sense...
im jes sayin....

tiff said...

OMG - I had the same daggone dream! Only in mine, people were chucking live giant squid at me, and I was wearing chaps.

Freaky.

Unknown said...

heh. ramen noodles are good if you eat them raw.

baby, may be it's a good dream to place the rest of your life into perspective... betcher friday is just a little less surreal for the virtual trip to the store.

and at least you weren't wearing a green cheerleading outfit.

kenju said...

Hmmmm.....you weren't naked? I was.

Anonymous said...

Lol. So you must have looked like a wacky super-hero. I love it! I'd also say someone's going to help you. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. I think dreams are equally, and perhaps more important than real life :-)