Monday, July 2, 2007

Noise

I used to make really fancy schmancy cakes for friends special occasions. I made groomsmen cakes for rehearsal dinners, birthday cakes, baby shower cakes, and once a wedding cake. I wish I had taken pictures. They were awesome, if I do say so myself.

The baby shower cake was my favorite, it was four square layers, frosted a different pastel shade on each side, and decorated to look like an Alphabet block. It was an enormous amount of work. The last time I made it it took me 8 straight hours, just for frosting and decorating. By the time I got to the last side of that Alphabet block (yellow) I had a wicked headache. I was finishing up and realized I needed just a bit more yellow frosting and tottered off to the kitchen to make it. While whipping I heard a noise that registered somewhere deep within me, and before I could form an actual word I found myself screaming as I rounded the corner to see my Apache-dog licking the corner and entire (yellow) side of the cake. He got just enough to dull the otherwise sharp corner an Alphabet block should have. The shower was the next day. No way I had enough time or the fortitude to make another cake. After about 5 minutes of deliberation I frosted right over the ‘licked spots’ and finished decorating. It didn’t look that bad, and I still don’t feel guilty about it.

I think it was the next day when I saw the four foot yellow frosting line across my ceiling. I guess when I came whipping out of the kitchen frosting whipper in hand I must have flicked my spoon and it left a nifty trail across the ceiling. Note: day old frosting not so easy to remove from popcorn ceiling.

Just yesterday while making spaghetti for lunch I opened a can of diced tomatoes, measured what I needed and put the rest in Tupperware dish on the counter. This time when I heard that noise, it was Mojo. Not quite tall enough to eat off the counter – he just bumped the container with his evil little foot and knocked the container to the floor. Did I mention that nearly everything in my kitchen is white? Yeah. Even the ceiling. Note: tomatoes are not much easier to remove from popcorn ceiling.

Apparently these German Shepherd dogs and I have a thing for messy ceilings.

Not quite related, but relevant to my day.
I always mute the TV during commercials. The car commercials alone in this state will make you wonder what a TV looks like sailing through a living room window, and dont' get me started on that "kaboom" guy... therefore, I love me some mute button.

This evening, I noticed the noise in my own head is so loud that twice I’ve tried to mute an already muted TV.

Seems like a good a time as any to fix a drink. Or run - again. Or find out what my TV looks like going through my living room window.

Today, I hate choices. Especially when there is no 'good' choice.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh. i have tomato sauce on my ceiling too....long stoopid roo story.

kenju said...

I am also cursed with popcorn ceilings, and my kitchen has at least 2 unknown spots that cannot be removed.

We need good cake bakers/decorators around here JC, so you can get into that business anytime! I wish you had pics too.

rennratt said...

I wonder if they make popcorn ceiling cleaner?

I've never had much luck cleaning anything off them, myself.

Namely baby food, squash, PLUMS (I used to make plum jelly), various sauces, etc.

I was really glad to move...

Anonymous said...

HAHA. Love the dog licked cake story. Last night I walked back into the kitchen to catch my dalmation and kitten in Grand Theft Chicken Tender with my DD's leftovers. Thanks for brightening my day.

Biff Spiffy said...

The house in which I spent my childhood STILL has a set of dark purple splotches on the dining room ceiling, courtesy of a Jr. Chemistry set. The warning said 'don't,' which to a young boy means 'cool.'

Tried painting that spot at least 4 times. Kept bleeding through.

I've done the teevee-through-window thing. It's highly satisfying. I haven't had one since January, and don't miss it one bit.

I do miss my computer though. :o(

utenzi said...

Using "White Out" works reasonably well on popcorn ceilings if the coverage area isn't too big. I don't clean, I cover up--which seems to be your cake strategy, Cravey. LOL I'm sure I'd have done the same thing. I've never had a dog that did much raiding off of counters or tables--but they've often had that shifty eye thing going so I know they often thought about it. Dogs!

Roy said...

Choices? Tell me. I have some lesser-of-several-evils choices coming up and I'm confused.

tiff said...

Dood - they should make a levitating dog, who could then lick the stuff off the ceiling.

That's my great idea for the day.

You're welcome.